Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Pinch Pots

The next peer lesson was about clay so we made pinch pots. To start out we got a ball of clay in which we had to knead around. We then rolled it back into a ball and started pushing down with our thumbs in the middle of the ball. We continued doing this around in a circle to create the pot. Once we got the desired look, we took some water and used that to smooth out the pot as best as we could. We then painted it whatever color we liked. I choose to make a purple, but once it dried it was a lot darker than when it was wet. 

Then, we could either carve or paint symbols that represented our lives into the pot. I decided to paint and carve my symbols in so it was easier to see them. First I carved my symbols, and then I decided to paint them to make them stick out a little bit more. 

As an extension activity, I would have a social studies lesson about different cultures that make pinch pots, talk about the meanings behind them and what they mean to their culture. We can also map out where the different type of pots are located in the world. 
Inside of my Pinch Pot. 

Heart carved and painted on the side of my pot to represent the love I have for my family. 

Music Notes carved and painted on the outside of my pot to represent my love of music.  

Letters carved and painted on the outside of my pot to represent being a teacher. 

Quotation marks on the outside of my pot to represent my love  of quotes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment